Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

sarah hayley wrote:
GET BACK ON TOPIC FOOLS.
Mac and cheese is quick and satisfying.

Annie's Shells & Cheddar 4 Lyfe.

I would guess that, on average, everyone in this apartment has Annie's at least twice a week. At 4 boxes for $5 (our supermarket is ALWAYS overstocked with this stuff), it's certainly a staple in my diet.

One thing I like to do that doesn't take much time is to throw some peas into the boiling water just before the pasta is done. After you drain them, put the pasta/peas back into the pot (the heat should be off) and grab a can of whole tuna in water (not it's exact opposite, chunk in oil *barf*). Open the can and use the pressure of the lid to expel the juices.

Hold the can over the pot with one hand and use a fork to stir/break up the tuna with the other, gradually adding it to the pasta (this way, you don't end up with 5 huge chunks but shreds of tuna throughout the mixture). Once it's all in there, stir it up and put a lid on it to let the tuna warm up.

While this is going on, make the cheese sauce and add some pepper, garlic salt, and italian seasoning. I find that microwaving this for about 15 seconds tends to bring out the flavors but it's not necessary. Once you've seasoned it to your liking, mix it in with the pasta/peas/tuna and enjoy.

I know my explanation was incredibly long but if you think about it, it's really very simple and requires a negligible amount of extra effort...Plus it tastes about 5,000 times better.

Alternatively, if you have more time, you can fry up some diced onion, add the peas and tuna to that after the onions have cooked a bit, and add all that to the pasta after you've drained it...crunchy onions are good.

Chili/Garlic sauce doesn't hurt either.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:40 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

Also, if you've got a Foreman Grill (you should if Quick, Satisfying Dinners For One is your thing), coating some vegetables (asparagus & thinly sliced onions or sliced eggplant work best) with a little asian vinagrette and letting it sit for 5 minutes (more time is always better if you've got the time to spare) and then grilling them doesn't take a lot of work. It goes well as a side to some tofu miso soup w/ spinach made from a powdered mix* & hot water. The whole operation will take you less than 12 minutes from warming up the grill to putting that first crispy vegetable in your mouth.

*I know I know, it seems a bit sacreligious but I tried out the Kikkoman brand (comes out to about a dollar per satisfying bowl) and it's pretty tasty.

Also, Ben can't say I've never done that because I just had it for dinner last night and he wasn't around, negligent father that he is (see Gorillaology for details...Jesus, Ben...you couldn't just take Caleb with you, could you?).

As a side note, I think they would increased their sales by 15% if they had put a big Conan The Barbarian style sword in George Foreman's other hand.

Ben rules!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:05 am  Reply with quote
Confused, Off-Camera Guerilla

Spinning Leaf wrote:
Ben can't say I've never done that because I just had it for dinner last night and he wasn't around, negligent father that he is (see Gorillaology for details...Jesus, Ben...you couldn't just take Caleb with you, could you?).

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to coordinate schedules with Caleb? It was bound to happen, regardless of my parenting skeels.
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:31 am  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

he's right. ben sould be completely off the hook on that account.

and asif-i do that! my sistrer is horribly picky and hard to cook for but she will eat annie's. this way i can mix a few more flavors in. i like to make garlic sauce and keep it around and throw that in on mine because my sister won't eat it.
sarah hayley
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

Annie's rules. Foreman grills rule.

Mmmm...Olives.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:28 pm  Reply with quote
Salty and Delicious
Salty and Delicious

You know what's really good on a Foreman Grill? Fresh pineapple. Very tasty...just watch out if you use one illegally in a dorm room...the lovely aroma brings people to your room.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

Mmmm...Olives. wrote:
You know what's really good on a Foreman Grill? Fresh pineapple.

that sounds good. do you have that with anything else or just eat it as is?

lily - i dont know what to say. I'm just glad that you, and others like you, understand.

Mmmm...Olives.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:44 pm  Reply with quote
Salty and Delicious
Salty and Delicious

Nah, we just ate it alone...as a snack. I didn't have many ingredients for experimentation. Then again, I never really thought to combine it with anything else. *embarrassed*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

Boil yourself up some noodles. About a bowlful. As many as you would like to eat. While you're waiting for them to be ready, get yourself some prosciutto and cut it into little bits, about one inch square. How much prosciutto depends on just how much deliciousness you want in your life. When the pasta is done, throw the prosciutto into it, with a dollop of butter. Mix it all together. If you're feeling adventuresome, grate in some parmesan. Eat. Glory in the culinary brilliance that is Phil.

Typhoid
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:56 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

For a second I thought you were calling the dish "Phil".

kevin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

sounds very philling.

sarah hayley
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:45 am  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

A couple nights ago I was home with my sister and I had to make us a quick dinner out of whatever was left in the fridge.

The supplies:

For my sister:

Annie's with steamed broccoli and chicken

For me:

Salad with chicken, cucumber, carrots, raw string beans, walnuts, and apples (I got a little experimental with mine)

The whole thing took about 15 minutes and the salad was sooo filling (not that bad either, considering I just threw in random things that we had around). The pre-made chicken strips weren't that great but a few weeks ago I made the macaroni thing with leftover chicken cutlet and that was really good. The best part was that I only had to use a cutting board and a microwave, hooray for uncomplicated appliances!

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:17 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

those both look good. I wish I had some of that macaroni, broccoli, and chicken now.

Last week was all about making panini every day...I went a little overboard I think...but just know that with a loaf of good sourdough (a mere 3 bucks at trader joes) and a foreman grill, you're only limited by your imagination.

phool2056
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

I've been eating a lot of big salads recently. Quick, big salads. Throw in a bunch of lettuce, tomato, avocado. Throw in tome oil. Throw in some vinegar. Throw in some salt. Eat. Eventually die of starvation, because lettuce is mostly water.

Lady of the Lake
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:38 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

I had a big salad the other night. But I also put in pasta.

Watery blondes with their backsides in ponds can't replace the electorate!

Guess what! The spammers from here are finding my forum through the link I had here! NO MORE LINK!
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:51 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

this place across the street from where I work caters to the Big Spender Business types on 5th avenue in Manhattan so charging you 7 dollars for a small salad doesn't seem insane to them.

And it didn't seem so insane to me after I realized you could have unlimited toppings...did I mention that said toppings and all salad components were some of the freshest food products I've ever had? Fucking delicious.

I tried to mix it up a little with crab meat one day and the blueberry vinaigrette another day but, surprisingly, it was the glorified ceasar salad that won me over:

romaine, chunks of roast turkey (didn't I tell you this place was fancy?), parmesan shavings, lite ceaser dressing, red onion, big fresh croutons, actual pieces of bacon (not bits), boiled egg whites, and avocado...my mouth waters....i think i'll have this for lunch on monday...understand though that i have no misconceptions about the nutritional value of said "salad." Some people make me laugh when I overhear them talking about how they had to have a "treat my body right day" (true story) by having a few pieces of lettuce swimming in the creamiest, fattiest dressing they had.

Mmmm...Olives.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:34 am  Reply with quote
Salty and Delicious
Salty and Delicious

Asif, you really have a way with words. It is 8:30am and I want that salad. Actually, I think I need that salad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:32 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

^not a quick satisfying dinner for anyone.

Kaydria
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Clever Girl
Clever Girl

I should have looked at this thread a week ago, I've been on my own since last Sunday but my parents are coming back tomorrow.