Olde English Message Board Forum Index
<  Video Games  ~  Fable2 - Review.
TheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 am  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

Fable 1 had a lot of hype and turned out to be only a Good game, not the near orgasmic experience that Lionhead studios seemed to say it would be. For this, some people were dissapointed. I still liked the game overall, but I was a bit upset at some of the things that didn't seem to work like we thought thty would.

Fable 2 also was pimped but not as much this time. Lionhead kept a little quieter and let the media and everyone else do the talking. This time, the game surpased the hype in my opinion and it's just amazing.

Many of the issues people voiced in the first Fable were corrected in this one. Many thought the world would be one large map in Fable1, not lots of tiny little zones you run around in that makes the world just feel... small. And it did feel small. Tiny, compact and not that epic. What you saw of the world was nice, but it wasn't anything outstanding. Fable2 still has zones, but now they are VERY large and the visuals for the world of Albion are vastly improved. The power of the 360 looks like it's allowed Lionhead to make everything not only large, but breathtaking as well.

Combat was slightly simplified as was the spell selection. At first, I was a LITTLE upset at the spells, but then when I started using them, I realized that it works so much better, that the decrease in the number of different spells was nothing to be upset about. Now most spells have 2 different functions depending on if you do an area effect or a bolt like effect, and it's easy to perform either on a whim. You're also able to interchange melee, ranged and magic attacks at will with out breaking the pace of combat at all. It makes you truely feel like the hero you're supposed to be.

A lot of people thought tht dog was a strange gimic at first, but it turns out to be one of the best features in the game. Your dog has a personality all it's own and does seem like a real dog at all times. He's also extreemly useful in the game, finding treasures, digging up burried items, helping you find your way to quests sometimes, and even attacking enemies you've knocked down.

Cons... Hmm, well, the length of the game could seem like a problem at first. When I realized I was near the end of the game, I started doing side quests just to see what some of them were. If you zip through the game, you will be done in fairly short order. This upset me a little, until I relized, if it took a LONG time to play through the game, I wouldn't want to go back and play again, and I still wanted to play more. I wanted to see what would change if you played through as an evil little bugger. So, I hurried and beat the game to start as a new character who was going to be a shifty little wench. And, right off the bat you realize the choices you make, even during the very beginning of the game play, make a difference on the world. An entire section of the main city, Bowerstone, was no longer the flurishing posh neighborhood it had been because my good character did certain things. It was a run down slum with sleezes and hobos everywhere you looked. This lit my interest in the game right back up and I had to start playing through to see what kind of things I could change just by changing the way I played the game.

This is one of the best fantasy type games I've played in a long time. It's simple controls, great story, beautiful landscapes and ability to change depending on how you play, just makes it all round great. I recommend this to anyone who likes video games, and even if you don't, I think it will still amaze you.

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:18 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Hmm...I'm going to have to show this review to my roommate. He thought Fable 1 was fairly average as well - he's a Fallout fanboy anyway and thinks that series does the whole "choices" thing better.

TheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 am  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

I've never been a fan of Fallout, though I think what Bethezda did with it looks neat. I may pick it up at some point. If I do, I'll probably review it on here. Don't know why, but I get a kick out of reviewing games. heh.

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:27 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

So far Fallout 3 seems like a pretty neat game, though I keep berating J for making his character be a total ass (and mildly evil) in-game. He promises me that he'll make a saintly character next time he plays through, though.

Irrespective of anything else I say of Fallout 3, I have to say it has a kickass soundtrack. I have to give massive props to any developer who decides to make all the in-game music be jazz and popular music from the 1930s and 40s.

CodeDaemon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:06 pm  Reply with quote
Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Oh do I love Fable II, it has been awhile since I played Fable: TLC, I had forgot who funny the game can be with the action you can perform and all that stuff.