Olde English Message Board Forum Index
<  Home Gardening/Cooking  ~  i've got game... hen.
Kattastic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:10 am  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

soooo in my archery class, we held a "turkey shoot" today (yes, we are in north carolina), and i won second place! which means i got...

a cornish game hen! it is so cute and small!

AND THIS MEANS i need ideas on what to do with it (lily, i'm appealing to your all-encompassing food wisdom here, and also any of you other foodies out there).

i LOVE to cook and i have some ideas, but i wanted to try something different than i normally do.

i have a full kitchen, lots of baking pans and oven bags and parchment paper for making oven bags, i love veggies, and there is a spice market within walking distance of my house.

Help Kat Cook a Cornish Game Hen..... GO!

"But it's one fleet! One fleet... of 900 boats."
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

Kattastic wrote:
i have a full kitchen, lots of baking pans and oven bags and parchment paper for making oven bags...and there is a spice market within walking distance of my house.

Sad my jealousy knows no bounds.

Kattastic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

i think it helps that all my roommates and i are cooking maniacs, so when we were looking for apartments, a good kitchen was priority numero uno.
however, it's a really old house that's been renovated and sub-divided in weird ways, so in addition to all the kitchen accoutrements, the washer and dryer are crammed in between the oven and the refridgerator, which can be quite odd.

we totally lucked out on the spice thing. i am obsessed with it Smile

Shoeverine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Okay, I'LL move the thread.

HOOO BOY, I AM ALL OVER GAME HENS! THERE IS THE SIMPLEST AND MOST DELICIOUS RECIPE AND I WILL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT IN AN HOUR WHEN BF AND I ARE DONE WITH LUNCH.

-l
Shoeverine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

okay, i've prepared game hens a number of ways but this is my all time favorite and it's very simple:
cornish game hens with roasted garlic aioli and roasted vegetables!
(i have no idea how detailed a recipe you need but for the sake of anyone that doesn't cook much but wants to make this sometime i'll be specific. at least, as specific as i can be since i am no good at writing up recipes!)
you need: as many game hens as you want (i guess you have one?) 2 heads of garlic, mayonaise, lemon juice, tons of salt and pepper, twine and whatever vegetables you want to roast.
to roast the garlic cut the tops off 2 heads of garlic and douse them with olive oil. wrap them in foil (this may be hard to explain but you just put the head on a square of foil and twist the sides up and together. in the end it will kind of look like another, larger head of garlic.) put them in the oven at about 450 ( know it's hot but it has to be) and roast them for about 40 minutes. when they're done you'll want to take them out and unwrap the foil and set them on a windowsill or something because they need to cool as you'll be peeling them with your hands.
meanwhile, wash and dry (patting with a paper towel) the game hen until it's clean and then cover it with salt and pepper. inside and out. i really mean cover it. this is a time where i really recommend picking up some fleur de sal or another kind of sea salt because it is an amazing taste. you can rub them with some butter if you like (i once had truffle butter that i put on them and oh my god, i almost died it was so good) just get them nice and covered with salt and pepper. however much you want. then put them (or it, however many) in a pan and tuck their wing tips under them and tie their legs together with the twine. stick them in the oven and cook them for about 25-30 minutes. they'll be golden brown and when poked their juices will run clear. that's how you know their done so just keep testing until you see that. the timing will be different for every oven.
when the garlic is done you pull it apart and put the soft roasted inside of the cloves in a bowl. mix in mayonaise to taste (probably a cup or a cup and a half) and then add lemon juice and some salt to taste.
roast whatever vegetables you like and serve all together. the aioli is really fantastic with this because the roasting of the garlic mellows out the flavor some and makes it a more subtle combo. if you want to make it even more exciting you can add a few threads of saffron to the aioli.

i have more recipes but that's my favorite. maybe i'll post a few more later, though.

-l
Kattastic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:22 pm  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

wow, my mouth just watered A LOT

Shoeverine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

i'm glad i just had lunch. i really want to cook something.

-l
Kattastic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

HELLO EVERYBODY!
It's been a long time... months, even.
Welllllll after moving to a new apartment and FINALLY getting dependable internet, I've decided to make my OEMB return even more triumphant with pictures of the Valentine's Day dinner I made for my Josh and me:

(the two game hens, nicely cooked together)

(this is what one of our plates looked like)

(here is a closeup)

Now, I know my cooking skills are not nearly as developed as yours, Miss Lily, but my Cornish Game Hen with Apple-Almond Wild Rice Stuffing and Sauteed Broccoli with Portobello Mushrooms was pretty damned fine! I'm so proud of myself Smile
Yay me! Cooking is awesome! (Especially since I made up my own recipe based one about four different ones, and my own culinary improvisations)[/img]

Silly Lily
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:34 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

that looks great!! good work!!

nobody has to put disclaimers saying they're sorry that they don't cook as well as i do! i'm not that good!!
flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

That looks fantastic! I really like the looks of the broccoli and mushrooms! Mmm.
Kattastic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:52 pm  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

it. was. absolutely. delicious.
I've never cooked anything that involved before, although I've done a LOT of cooking. I was really excited that everything turned out so well, and tasted so good! Although having a whole hen each (even though they are small) was SO filling that I almost didn't have room for the broccoli... almost...

(and i'm a woman who loves her broccoli.)