Olde English Message Board Forum Index
<  Music  ~  Classical. Music.
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

I know next to nothing about all the composers you're all discussing but I am curious about what you all think of Max Richter. His first album came out about four years ago so he's pretty new to the scene compared to Beethoven but, for me, his music has a deeper emotional impact than any of the older stuff I've ever heard, short as that list may be*.

*mostly schubert

also, in regards to Nobuo Uematsu and all things FF/Black Mages related, I can't really get into why people are so fanatical about it (this isn't directed at you specifically, PBD - your mention of him just got me thinking about some other people I've encountered). I mean, it's good but, like the FF series itself (and I know I'm going to catch hell for this), it kind of has that Same Old Shit feel to it...but i'll stop here before this turns into a discussion about final fantasy.

anyone feeling up to posting some of the tracks to which you are referring?

random_pipings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:38 am  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

PBD, that's cool that you're working on the Moonlight Sonata. You want a challenge? Try the last movement. It's fun....but it's not all that easy.

I'm glad you're an orchestra dork. I'm not, but I love orchestral music. I've just never played in one. To add another one to the list, I like Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony.

Spinning Leaf, I've never heard of Max Richter.
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:00 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

random_pipings wrote:
Spinning Leaf, I've never heard of Max Richter.

perhaps this isn't the right thread for it. It's not classical per se. Closer to a cinematic score (he does a number of those as well) with some electronic thrown in there.

http://www.maxrichter.com/projects_1.php

^the link is to samples from the album that first hooked me, The Blue Notebooks. Check out "On The Nature of Daylight." The annoying thing is that it loads the whole song but it only allows you to play 30 seconds at a time before it fades out...you have to click later in the song to hear another 30 second sample...ridiculous, i know.

when im not so lazy, i'll see if i can post an uninterrupted track...possibly in a thread of his own since, again, this probably doesn't belong here.

Last edited by Spinning Leaf on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:48 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Nobuo Uematsu I enjoy because it sounds good and it gives me a break from practicing pieces by dead white European males.

I'm too tired to listen to the Max Richter clips right now. I'll get on it tomorrow.

As for Schubert, I'm not a big fan of his stuff. Emotional impacts I'm more likely to get from Sibelius, Debussy, even Bach.

random_pipings
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

Bach is my favorite composer of all time.
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I'm currently attempting to make a dent in Bach's Sonatas and Partitas. Loooove.

Hmm...the track Asif posted seems pretty intriguing. Maybe not classical music per se, but I would be interested in hearing more.

random_pipings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

Hey PBD, it sounds like you're a pretty proficient musician. Do elaborate!
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:29 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I've played the piano since age 5 and the violin since 9. Asian parents, dontcha know...

I've played in various orchestras since 7th or 8th grade, so I have a rudimentary repertoire under my belt. However, I've never been driven to be the best since I don't plan to make music a career, so the highest position I've ever held is 6th chair, 1st violins in the Fort Worth youth orchestra. Also I've moonlighted as pianist for the same orchestra.

Current stuff I'm working on:
Piano: Moonlight Sonata, Clair de Lune, one of Chopin's Nocturnes (I forget which one), Chopin's Black Key Etude, Tifa's Theme, Aeris's Theme, some miscellaneous Bach (random short and light pieces).
Violin: One of Beethoven's romances (key of F?), various movements from Bach's Sonatas and Partitas.

random_pipings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

Oh wow that's pretty cool. I am (supposedly) a classical musician myself, so I'm always happy to run into others of my kind. I also didn't know you were Asian. A lot of Asians do seem to be very talented and hard-working in musical areas. (I hope positive stereotyping is allowed...)
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:08 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Supposedly? What do you play?

random_pipings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:37 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

I'm actually a music performance major in college. Take that, stalkers. I play pipe organ. I also play piano, though not well. I can hit some right notes, but my technique is rather poor.
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:41 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Wow, majoring in pipe organ. If I may inquire, what do you plan to do once you're out of college?

random_pipings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

Yeah, it's an interesting career choice. Essentially, once I finish graduate school, I'll look for a full-time church position, or a teaching position, and (hopefully) supplement that by performing, or some combination of those three options. Winning a few competitions would be nice, too, but it remains to be seen whether that could actually happen. Organists are actually in fairly high demand (ever notice how you've probably never run across one until now? or if you have, they're still not very common), so finding a decent-paying job should not be too much of a problem, as long as I can pass myself off as a proficient musician.
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I see. It's not quite the same for violinists because there are way too many of them populating the job market already, which is why it's not my career choice. Good luck with your playing!

random_pipings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

Thanks! It's a lot of fun, and I also practice piano a lot in my free time (*cough*free time...yeah right*cough*). I'm currently thinking about learning Mendelssohn's Variations serieuses in addition to all my other repertoire.

You may have mentioned it before, but I missed it: what's your major?
Kaydria
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote
Clever Girl
Clever Girl

I really, really like Chopin. A lot.
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:55 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

random_pipings wrote:

You may have mentioned it before, but I missed it: what's your major?

I don't believe I have mentioned it, and if I did it would've been before you arrived. I'm majoring in journalism, with a possible double major in information technologies.

Kaydria - Chopin is gorgeous. But so frickin' difficult to play.

Kaydria
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:03 am  Reply with quote
Clever Girl
Clever Girl

I can only imagine.
yakthejanitor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:12 pm  Reply with quote
The Ghost of Christmas Past
The Ghost of Christmas Past

podbaydoor wrote:
Nobuo Uematsu I enjoy because it sounds good and it gives me a break from practicing pieces by dead white European males.

Nobuo Uematsu=god amongst men

Squall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote
Bacterium
Bacterium

Listen to Glenn Gould performances and Maurizio Pollini, they are amazing.

Listen to Pollini's performance of "Petrouchka: 3 movements" by Stravinsky, it will blow you away.

I play a lot of Bach on piano, and some contemporary stuff like Prokofiev.

My favorite piece to play is Solfeggio in C Minor by CPE Bach. It's surprisingly easy and very impressive when played Vivace.

ps. "Petrouchka: 3 movements" isn't the actual name.
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:33 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Hey Squall, I don't believe I've met you before. Care to introduce yourself officially?

http://www.oldeenglish.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=4&start=2370

Always a pleasure to meet a classical music fan.

HistoricallyAccurate
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:07 pm  Reply with quote
Fungus
Fungus

Spinning Leaf wrote:
*mostly schubert

Schubert was insane, literally. And his music showed it. My junior year of high school, the full orchestra performed his Unfinished Symphony. After that experience, all I can say is, "never again." That man was seriously insane. But his music was spectacular, so you gotta love him.

podbaydoor wrote:
Kaydria - Chopin is gorgeous. But so frickin' difficult to play.

So true. (^^;

My favorite musical period is baroque, but I do have quite the sweet spot for the Romantic* period as well. And of course, everyone loves Beethoven. Although, ever since I took Music History 1, I have been itching to find some more Ancient Greek pieces. They are so different, and yet so great.

EDIT: *And by "Romantic", I mean Renaissance. (^^;

Also, I desperately want to see Rossini's "Barber of Seville" on stage. That opera is the shiz! And the overture is quite possibly my favorite song of all time.

Last edited by HistoricallyAccurate on Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

"Feeegaro. Figaro. Figaro figaro figarofigarofigaro..."

I love that Figaro is a bass part.

Schubert is not my favorite. His music is just kind of uninteresting to me - plus, of course, playing it was definitely not my favorite experience either.

I kind of enjoy pieces by Latin American or Spanish composers. They were always the most fun to play in orchestra.

goldfinger
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote
Invertebrate
Invertebrate

As far as classical music goes, I hate most of it. There are some decent things, though. Saint-Saens and Dvorak are good, as well as most other well-known things.

Right now I am learning Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens on piano, simply because everything else I have found that I like of his is too insanely difficult (Carnival of the Animals). And when I am not doing that, I try to figure out how to play Jesse's Concerto in F major by ear, if that counts.
Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:50 pm  Reply with quote
Homo sapien
Homo sapien

HistoricallyAccurate wrote:
Although, ever since I took Music History 1, I have been itching to find some more Ancient Greek pieces.

Try learning the Ancient Greek language. It's incredible.

HistoricallyAccurate
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:54 pm  Reply with quote
Fungus
Fungus

I would love to. I wish my college had it. But it doesn't. Crying or Very sad
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:25 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Me. (And my violin.)

Handel's Messiah.

Tonight at 7.

OMG.

flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:31 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Good luck!!!
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:36 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Thanks! I'm just a lowly 2nd violin, but it's still exciting. The choir is...well...MASSIVE.

And the music is brilliant, though it becomes highly annoying after hour #21 of the same movement being stuck in my head (I went to sleep with Handel in my head last night, and woke up to more of the same.) "Cooooomfort ye..."

Tuesday
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:52 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

that sounds amazing, pbd! and i won't even say anything about the asian and the violin stereotype. Very Happy