Olde English Message Board Forum Index
<  Home Gardening/Cooking  ~  What are you currently eating?
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Duly noted. I've noticed that's what all my cooking friends do, too - by the time the meal arrives at the table about an eighth of it's already gone, heh.

I made the pasta tonight and it turned out nothing like I expected - it was okay, but somehow didn't seem "together" enough. It looked like a bowl of pasta with a bunch of other stuff thrown in, not a single coherent dish. Meh, there weren't any complaints and I'm not looking to be an accomplished cook.

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:44 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I didn't cook this - my internet friend slash weekend hook up did - but I will describe last night's dinner as best as I can.

Rosemary chicken:
Chicken
Rosemary
Chardonnay wine reduction
Extra virgin olive oil
Zucchini (he said he usually used yellow squash too, but Wal-mart was out)
Olives

For lunch I had Flat Branch's chokes 'n cheese appetizer: some kind of artichoke-cheese dip served in a bread bowl, with carrots, broccoli, and celery.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:46 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

sorry to hear about the pasta not coming together -- there are some simple rules to follow that will usually yield more cohesive dishes if you're interested. Of course, I'd have to know exactly what you did to figure out where things might have skewed into an alternate 1985.

rosemary and chicken sounds good though. can't go wrong with that.

I just had some pretty amazing salted caramel flavored frozen custard.

I'm also thinking about making preserved lemons for the first time. Lily, thoughts / advice?

EDIT: I know it's essentially a simple pickling process...just thought you might have some unusual Lily Trick (an addition / subtraction / substitution of some sort) to make it ten times better.

Silly Lily
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:16 am  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

DO IT. those are my thoughts. i looooove preserved lemons and i love preserving things in general (hello! potted meats=my favorite foods!). what are the ratios you're using? that info will help me give you tips!
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:19 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

I don't have any particularly large jars right now and I probably won't get to this for another week or two...i imagine i'll just buy enough to fit in a jar of spaghetti sauce and eyeball it on the salt...? most instructions didn't seem too precise. just a bunch of salt on the bottom, generously salted (inside and out) almost-quartered lemons packed tightly to the brim, and a bunch of lemon juice to top it off...anything else?

that's about what i'm working with here. however many it'll take to fill up the average glass sauce jar.

-first timer

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Spinning Leaf wrote:
sorry to hear about the pasta not coming together -- there are some simple rules to follow that will usually yield more cohesive dishes if you're interested. Of course, I'd have to know exactly what you did to figure out where things might have skewed into an alternate 1985.

I didn't use any sauce or seasoning, maybe that was the problem. It was basically pasta + kielbasa + bell pepper + tomato + chickpeas in a bowl with a couple of splashes of olive oil.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

aww yeah...a rare night at home to actually have a meal...got some vegetable dumplings...a bowl of ramen with roast pork and veg...ice cold slices of white peach...yep.

Silly Lily
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:02 am  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

asif, when you're here would you like to go out to dinner or make dinner or have me make dinner? what?? i'm excited!
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 am  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

ps. i'm also drunk.
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

I'm in ur facebooks, sending you a message to keep this on topic.

tonight was a night of simplicity...covering a trade show all day takes the fight out of me....all i can handle sometimes is a smoothie...strawberry/blueberry/raspberry blended with ice, apple juice, and orange juice...nothing crazy but it was delicious and just what i needed...as much as I'll miss cool refreshing beverages, i look forward to trading them in for a nice crisp fall where I don't break into a nasty sweat wherever i go...you can just feel the summer coating your skin like grime...

anyway. smoothies are the ideal candidate for a late summer dinner.

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:23 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Spinning Leaf wrote:
as much as I'll miss cool refreshing beverages, i look forward to trading them in for a nice crisp fall where I don't break into a nasty sweat wherever i go...you can just feel the summer coating your skin like grime...

Try being in a place where summer actually is coating your skin in literal grime.

Anyway, me + pasta cooked in a water boiler + lots of parmesan from a can = successful dinner cooked in a hotel room.

I've been eating a lot of good, cheap food here, though. There's a dumpling place by the university where I can't read the menu but I randomly point anyway because I know I'll love anything that they bring out. (Although I admit the corn and cilantro filling was a little odd.)

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:52 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

wait, where are you actually coated in grime?

I guess it's worth it if you can point at delicious dumplings. I'm glad your hotel pasta worked out.

Oh man. by the way: Made a lasagna last night as usual + 2 new additions (for me, personally)...1. I used a puttanesca sauce so there were nice whole olives floating about and 2. A layer of smoked mozzarella cubes on the top...holy shit. More delicious than I dared to dream.

For dessert, we also had fresh berries with an award winning (beat out 400 other honeys in an international competition) disc of raw honeycomb...this stuff is amazing...you just break into the waxy structure and it collapses, leaking honey everywhere...pairs really well with raspberries, blueberries, and tart green apples...not to mention all kinds of cheeses but that's a whole other thread...

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:50 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I'm in Beijing, the jokes about the "haze" and "fog" are legion here.

I patronized the dumpling place for the last time last night (shortly before finagling our way onto the Olympic Green!) and had a bunch of pork dumplings and shrimp dumplings. Doused in the red vinegar stuff that Beijingers love. Yummmm.

kevin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

a banana.

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Ham and cheese sandwich. Now that food is no longer incredibly cheap, I'm back to American college student cooking. Sad Even the instant noodles here are not as exciting as Chinese instant noodles.

flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

podbaydoor wrote:
Ham and cheese sandwich. Now that food is no longer incredibly cheap, I'm back to American college student cooking. Sad Even the instant noodles here are not as exciting as Chinese instant noodles.

I would say they're "exciting," but not in the good way. As in, wow, that's not beef at all! I don't even know what that is! A world of adventure!

I'm having to eat under five bucks a day due to weird issues with my room and board payments. The bitterness, it shines through.
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:26 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

i'm eating blueberries!!

iain, iain, come talk food with me! you've been gone forever!
flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:39 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

lily! I'd be delighted! but I have nothing foodly to report, except that i forgot to bring my only pot to school this year and boiled water in a microwave for the first time in my life.

it felt weird?
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:35 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

ice cold watermelon. the best for a late summer night.

Selden Li
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:27 am  Reply with quote
Sir Selden of Olde
Sir Selden of Olde

I just made a mac and cheese from scrath with a mild chedder that was absolutly fabulous. Cleaning the pot out sucked though

Tuesday
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:20 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

i had a turkey burger with cheddar cheese and guacamole for dinner and it made me super super super happy!

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:37 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I made a wrap! Tortilla + sandwich fixings.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:10 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

i am spoiling myself today. instead of having actual meals I've mostly been hanging out with a fruit and cheese plate. nothing too fancy, just some personal, relatively inexpensive favorites. a bunch of grapes, apple, membrillo, chèvre, a nice aged white cheddar, and manchego...some bread...olive oil...truffle oil...pepper...ah...good times indeed.

(to explain, big dinner out planned with friends tonight...had to pace myself)

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

That sounds like a lovely way to snack throughout a day.

I'm eating a huge bowl of Hamburger Helper lasagna. We're going to a Lord of the Rings drinking game party, and figured that eating a good amount of food beforehand would aid in the "not being wasted within 30 minutes" and "not getting violently ill eventually" departments.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:43 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

yeah it was good times....though Hamburger Helper Lasagna sounds like the worst thing you could (potentially) throw up...!?

What was the drinking game? Every time a hobbit falls down? I like that one.

flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:45 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Spinning Leaf wrote:
yeah it was good times....though Hamburger Helper Lasagna sounds like the worst thing you could (potentially) throw up...!?

Actually it's spicy chunky salsa, during a sneezing fit.

[/public service announcement]
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:49 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

aw man i am just killing it this weekend. I had a rough week. Deserve a little self indulgence.

Sunday breakfast is a giant steak with fried eggs and salted tomato slices.

::dies of happiness::

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:33 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Spinning Leaf wrote:

What was the drinking game? Every time a hobbit falls down? I like that one.

Gratuitous hobbit feet, every time a ringwraith screams, gratuitous horse nostrils, every time "hope" is mentioned, and then we were assigned characters to drink to. Every time your character's race is slandered, every time your character smokes, every time Boromir lusts after the ring, every time Aragorn uses "ranger skills," every time Merry and/or Pippin talk about food, every time Gandalf is amused by hobbits, etc.

Oh man, J and I have discovered spaghetti sauce. We make it like every week. Italian seasoning blend is awesome for this purpose.

Sunday dinner was delicious garnaches.
Fried tortilla, loaded with:
Shredded cabbage + dab of vinegar
Refried beans
Shredded cheese
Ketchup

J assures me the ketchup is an authentic Belizean ingredient.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:19 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

podbaydoor wrote:
Gratuitous hobbit feet, every time a ringwraith screams, gratuitous horse nostrils, every time "hope" is mentioned, and then we were assigned characters to drink to. Every time your character's race is slandered, every time your character smokes, every time Boromir lusts after the ring, every time Aragorn uses "ranger skills," every time Merry and/or Pippin talk about food, every time Gandalf is amused by hobbits, etc.

WOW. that is...awesome. I love the "every time your character's race is slandered"...genius.

I can't wait to share this with whopping two friends of mine who are both fans of lotr and drinkers.

Tarr'Lorre
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:21 pm  Reply with quote
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Hahaha, I love that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address