Olde English Message Board Forum Index
<  Home Gardening/Cooking  ~  My Menu!
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:01 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

i'm not sure how the format will transfer but i really appreciate you guys giving it a look!

Involuntary Memory

A Culinary Ode to
Marcel Proust

Tea and Madeleines
Savory Thyme Madeleines and Hot Consommé

Fresh Herb Salad
Smoked Trout Rillettes and Brioche Rounds

Champagne and Mint Sorbet

Rabbit Boudin Blanc
Housemade Mustard Sauce and Tomato Tartlet

Assorted Macarons
With Seasonal Jam and Chocolate Ganache

ugh, it didn't transfer well. imagine it looks more beautiful! i really welcome any questions!
podbaydoor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:54 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

I don't know a third of the words, but it sounds delicious. If you ever open up your own place, I'm sure I'm not the only one who will look forward to dining at Chez Lily (though you may be dismayed by my lack of refined breeding).

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:55 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

thyme madeleines? my mind is blown. please send me some.
rabbit with mustard sauce sounds good too.
i would happily sit down to this meal.
good jorb

Silly Lily
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:41 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

thanks, friendos. the madeleines are so so good. i made them with rosemary last night and i was very happy. i love my madeleine pan, it's the best!

and i would love to have you at my restaurant, PBD! i am never dismayed but lack of refined breeding as long as people are willing to try new things!!
yakthejanitor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm  Reply with quote
The Ghost of Christmas Past

Sounds delicious. Just out of curiousity, how is this related to Marcel Proust? Maybe I missed something.

Tuesday
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:00 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

i.. have no idea what any of that is. but it sounds lovely!

flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:14 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Mmmm. I could also really go for the rabbit right now. This looks wonderful, Miss Lily!

So do you feel up to explaining the title? Is that allowed? Inquiring minds want to know!
sarah hayley
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:00 pm  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

I would never eat most of that because I am pretty much the pickiest eater in the history of the planet... but it sounds very pretty and fancy and I bet you are going to do a great job!

podbaydoor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Silly Lily wrote:
thanks, friendos. the madeleines are so so good. i made them with rosemary last night and i was very happy. i love my madeleine pan, it's the best!

and i would love to have you at my restaurant, PBD! i am never dismayed but lack of refined breeding as long as people are willing to try new things!!

I can't promise I'd use the salad forks in the right order. But I'd definitely eat your food with gusto.

Silly Lily
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:03 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

yakthejanitor wrote:
Sounds delicious. Just out of curiousity, how is this related to Marcel Proust? Maybe I missed something.

there are a couple things that relate. i'm fascinated by the fact that a food item immediately brings proust to mind but he doesn't seem to be a big eater. his descriptions of food are so matter of fact and day to day yet he speaks so well about it. it makes me crazy but i love it. so i went from there. the madeleines are fairly obvious, i hope, but i switched the tea for consumme and made them savory to up the creativity and make it a little more cutting edge.
boudin blanc is a very traditional french dish that was quite popular around the turn of the century (around when In Search of Lost Time was being written) and in the rural parts of the country it was made with rice to stretch the meat but because proust is parisian born i'm doing it with just the cream and some cognac. from these two things i took traditional french food and added some lux twists for old marcel (brioche with the rillettes, champange in the palate cleanser) that will also evoke memories of paris (macarons, which might as well be the city's calling card) and tried to create a cohesive menu from there! that's a very long explanation that kind of requires a kind of in depth knowledge of food history. but i ried to be concise (seriously).

iain, what more did you want explained about the title? i'm always happy to explain, i just don't understand!

sarah, i am sad for you. what kinds of foods do you like?? and what won't you eat?

and don't worry, pbd, i don't care about fork use and manners, i just want people to enjoy the food!!
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

THAT WAS SO LONG, SORRY BABIES.
yakthejanitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Silly Lily wrote:

and don't worry, pbd, i don't care about fork use and manners, i just want people to enjoy the food!!

So we can eat with our hands? Or better yet just skip picking the food up at all and just mash our faces on the plate and inhale? I'm SO in.

flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Silly Lily wrote:
iain, what more did you want explained about the title? i'm always happy to explain, i just don't understand!

Nooo, I get it now. It turns out that I don't know jack about Proust, or apparently about my chosen field of psychology. Whoops!

But I enjoyed the description! The whole menu is so clever and well thought out. Conciseness is not necessarily a virtue when you're so interesting!

Did you pick Proust because you really wanted to do Parisian food, or was it the other way around? I guess what I mean is, how did you come up with this? How long did it take?

(Sorry about all the questions! I'm feeling curiouser today).
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:34 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

well i was originally doing french peasant food which was similar but less fancy (the peasants have little use for palate cleansing sorbets) but then i wanted to fancy it up and i like proust and literature and food and then i thought of savory madeleines and i was like BOOM. and i've been working on this menu (in various forms) since about new years.

ask away! i like answering questions and talking about it! it makes me less nervous!!

(sorry about the BOOM, i'm very tired.)
yakthejanitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

BOOM! Tough actin' savory madeleine!

flaxattack
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:15 am  Reply with quote
Homo Sapien
Homo Sapien

Wow, Lily. That sounds incredible. Also:
Silly Lily wrote:
A Culinary Ode to
Marcel Proust

= awesome.
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:02 am  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

I MISS YOU J. FLAX!
KKN
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:03 pm  Reply with quote
Fungus
Fungus

Rabbit Boudin Blanc: I wasn't aware of the fact that there is anything similar to white sausage in French Cuisine, so looked it up in Wikipedia, where I found out that white sausages actually came from France to Bavaria, although Bavarians would deny it, of course. For rabbit meat tastes quite special I think it would be quite interesting to eat them.

Unfortunately I never read Proust, but I can imagine what "Involuntary Memories" mean - in his novel "In Search of Lost Time" Proust describes how the smell of (sweet) madeleines dipped in tea arouses long-ago memories.

I instantly know, what Proust means, when I think of elderflowers dipped in batter and deep-fried. When I was a little girl, my grandma and me went to a meadow, we picked cowslips there and stinging-nettles (which she made tea of, another unforgettable taste) and somtimes my grandma cut some elderflowers from the bushes, took them home, deep-fried them and served them for lunch.

Another memory of this time is the smell of bread and apples. Opposite to the farm house there was a meadow, all the apple trees were there and an oven, it looked just like a little hut, you could open its door and walk into it. Behind that door was the oven itself, it was really huge and they had to heat it up for hours to get it as far as to bake bread.

It was Grandma's job to prepare, to knead, to form and to bake this bread. The ingredients were no big deal: She used flour, water, salt, a special mix of spices she got from the bakery, sourdough and worked the dough in a wooden trough, which was at least six feet long and about 10 inches wide - I cannot imagine how much her arms must have hurt afterwards. The moment, they took the bread out of the oven was incredible, it smelled absolutely perfect, I'm hardly able to describe this scent in German, so I leave that one out. Everyone who has ever smelled fresh bread that was made like this, should instantly know what I mean.

I remember two or three times, they actually baked the bread this way, always in autumn, about the time when they harvested the apples (I was always eager to help, which meant, that I was allowed to stuff apples into me and it was fun, we stood on that tumbril and when we were finished with one tree, my uncle started the tractor, hopping over to the next tree and we almost fell off, laughing and shrieking). There's absolutely nothing in this world, that tastes or smells like apples out of this garden and Grandma's bread, there are only similarities, approximations, without even getting near to it, that remind me of the happiest times in my life.
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

that's exactly what involuntary memory is. memories called up by certain foods or smells, etc without the person trying to bring them up. proust was the first to really describe it that way and that well. he never called it involuntary memory though, just described it.

i made the rillettes today and they are so delicious but since i had to smoke the trout i smell like campfires. and fish. and it's 80 degrees out. it's nice!

and i love nettle tea and nettle soups. we have a ton of nettles here in washington and i love to play with them in food.
Typhoid
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:53 pm  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

I disapprove the eating of Rabbit.

Good menu, though.

KKN
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:06 am  Reply with quote
Fungus
Fungus

Silly Lily wrote:
that's exactly what involuntary memory is. memories called up by certain foods or smells, etc without the person trying to bring them up. proust was the first to really describe it that way and that well. he never called it involuntary memory though, just described it.

Sounds like I should read some Proust someday. Wink

Involuntary memory is also used to sell convenience food, at least over here. I don't know, how intensively they advertise like that in the US, but in Germany it's a lot like "Just as if Grandma cooked it", "Tastes like from the countryside" and "The good old times, when they smoked their liverwurst by themselves in Pomerania".

Silly Lily wrote:
i made the rillettes today and they are so delicious but since i had to smoke the trout i smell like campfires. and fish. and it's 80 degrees out. it's nice!

Campfires and smoked fish are quite nice smells. At least I like them.

Silly Lily wrote:
and i love nettle tea and nettle soups. we have a ton of nettles here in washington and i love to play with them in food.

I'm always a bit chary of using nettles and elderflowers growing in the city, as the stuff my grandma used grew about a mile away from roads and there were no dogs around.
Silly Lily
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:46 am  Reply with quote
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart
Saucy Seattle Sweetheart

the nettles i eat aren't from the city either. we have a lot or rural land here.

Typhoid wrote:
I disapprove the eating of Rabbit.

Good menu, though.

why?
Typhoid
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 am  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

When I was little, I had a rabbit. And it just so happens that the part of the suburbs I live in (being relatively close to blueberry farms) was overrun with rabbits at one point, so me and my friend caught 3 of them. My dad built a giant out-door cage. 3 soon became 54. After having 54 cuddly cute bunnies as an 8 year old, I find it hard to want to eat them.

flimsyexcuse
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote
Levitating Brain
Levitating Brain

Did you name them all?
Typhoid
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:53 am  Reply with quote
Robot
Robot

flimsyexcuse wrote:
Did you name them all?

I did, actually.

The initial one was Lincoln.
The next two were Black, and Stripes. The third was Oreo.
Then there was William, Ben, Ted, Shelly, Carol, Cleveland, Kansas, Moocow. And then it just went into "the second" and "the third" and so on after that. I was trying to give them names that weren't rabbit names. One was "Captain James C. Pennyforth the second." There was no first.