<  Music  ~  Crystal Castles
Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:29 am  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

any fans out there?

hopefully not after watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kb-J6NFBss

personally invested in spreading the word since the artist in question (Lo-Bat) is a friend of mine.

if you can't be bothered to click on that link, the short version is that Crystal Castles have engaged in some pretty heavy sampling / ripping off of another artist's work. Sampling that violates the Creative Commons license under which the original work was released.

That's as simply as I can put a more complex issue.
Here are some good articles on the subject:

http://tinyurl.com/3nc8ao
http://tinyurl.com/4eo7k3

thanks for the reading and support.

if you're interested in spreading the word (especially to Crystal Castles fans that you may know), there are myspace / facebook groups to pass along.

http://www.myspace.com/crystaltheft
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13599848830&ref=ts

sarah hayley
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 am  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

apparently they just enjoy stealing shit and ripping people off. http://torontoist.com/2008/04/crystal_castles_trevor_brown.php these guys sound like major assholes.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:03 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

yes thankfully this whole thing has reenergized Trevor Brown and he's partnered up with this campaign. Here's to hoping that CC gets what's coming to them.

They're opening for Nine Inch Nails on their upcoming tour. Given Trent Reznor's respect for Creative Commons and everything it stands for, it would be great if they were removed from the lineup.

Stefan
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:38 pm  Reply with quote
Deh Funkmeister Himself
Deh Funkmeister Himself

This whole "indie rock" scene or whatever is getting real old real fast. Plus I'm appalled that these people would be so idiotic to make entire albums that are ripped-off from other artists material and expect to gain appreciation.

Even if it is a mistake, you'd think an Indie band would at least know the terms of creative commons licenses.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

Definitely not a mistake (though, it doesn't change the fact that it is idiotic)

Their approach (and they've said this themselves) is to take something that doesn't belong to them, use it, and hope that the artist will come forward upon hearing/seeing it and work out some combo of clearance/credit/compensation.

This is absolutely fucking stupid for a number of reasons.

It's not the original artist's responsibility to wait for someone else to appropriate his or her work and then contact them to work out a deal. I can understand the logic behind not clearing something before reworking the song for your own purposes. That stifles the creative freedom to produce really good remixes. But when you have the finished product and are ready to release it, whether it's for sale or made available for free to promote the products you_are_selling, that's when you get all your clearance ducks in a row with the artist.

This concept is completely lost on Crystal Castles. So it's not that they don't know the rules. They just don't give a fuck and, like children, hope that they won't be caught.

What really fries me about all this is how much they try and distance themselves from the chiptune/8-bit music scene when it turns out that most of their "work" is built upon said scene's best and brightest. Not only that, but they've managed to dupe a lot of people into believing that they are pioneering this new sound that has been around for 20+ years.

I could go on and on about this so I'll stop for now.

The most important thing to take away from all this is that they do not deserve a fraction of what they've made (critical acclaim, fans, $, etc) when so much of it is built on lies.

I'm really happy that this story is receiving as much attention as it is. The 8bit community has really come together to protect its members by spreading the word (Crystal Castles, it turns out, has also ripped off several other chiptune musicians) and the media outlets that have devoted time, space, and airplay to putting Crystal Cassholes (happy, Sarah?) up on a pedestal in the past are now running this story and taking it seriously.

Last edited by Spinning Leaf on Fri May 09, 2008 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarah hayley
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:45 pm  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

this story is so difficult... cc and cc.

oh and this is hilarious
Stefan wrote:
This whole "indie rock" scene or whatever is getting real old real fast.

Spinning Leaf
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm  Reply with quote
Primate
Primate

sarah hayley wrote:
oh and this is hilarious
Stefan wrote:
This whole "indie rock" scene or whatever is getting real old real fast.

for real, Stefan. No personal offense whatsoever (seriously) but that is a pretty broad brush you're painting with there. perhaps this discussion would benefit from some elaboration...?

Stefan
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:48 pm  Reply with quote
Deh Funkmeister Himself
Deh Funkmeister Himself

Come again? I just meant I'm sick and tired of all these pretentious-cookie cutter indie bands - that keep churning out all sorts of mind-numbing songs for the sake of being different.

But not all - there are many I guess you could call - Independent artists that don't fall into this category. Obviously, in Crystal Castle's case, they are so desperate to seem hip or "indie" that they would go so far as to steal music from real artists.

I apologize if that came off a bit brash...?

sarah hayley
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:46 pm  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

not brash. stupid. who are the bands you are talking about? if this is so pervasive in what you are calling "indie music", which is a ridiculously broad category, there must be a pretty long list. what are these "mind-numbing songs" which you seem to know for a fact are being made "for the sake of being different"? and maybe you'd care to narrow the category down? pop, rock, folk, hip hop, electronica? I mean, this discussion is about a pretty specific category in so-called indie music (chiptune), so your outburst must be somehow related to it, but I don't see it. fill me in.

Stefan
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:15 pm  Reply with quote
Deh Funkmeister Himself
Deh Funkmeister Himself

You know what? - Forget I said anything! because apparently all I ever have to say is stupid around here! Listen I'm sorry if I fricken offended you - but quit attacking me like I'm some sort of ignorant ass because I'm not and you wouldn't know since you barely even know me.

sarah hayley
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:52 pm  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

Stefan, you made a sweeping insulting comment, and I'm asking you to clarify it so that I understand what you're talking about. (all you have to do is tell me the bands and songs you were mentioning, because I don't see where you're coming from.)

Shoeverine
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:43 am  Reply with quote
Okay, I'LL move the thread.
Okay, I'LL move the thread.

That reminds me of this article:

Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8
sarah hayley
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:25 am  Reply with quote
No muffins for you!
No muffins for you!

haha, brilliant! they nailed it.